Walk 6

Tregony, Creed, Grampound, Trewithen and Golden
Distance: 9 miles

The village of Tregony flourished under the influence of the Pomeroy family after the Norman Conquest and was granted rights to hold fairs, markets and even a representation in parliament. Being a port, it later profited greatly from the establishment of woollen mills and by the mid 1600’s it was reputed to have 36 alehouses. Sadly, the waning of trade on the River Fal also resulted in Tregony’s decline and today, all that remains of its once prosperous past is the main street with its characteristic clock tower and 17th century two-storey almshouses known as ‘The Gallery’.

Grampound derives its name from the Celtic ‘great bridge’ but went by the name ‘Ponsmur’ prior to the building of the bridge in the 13th century; the lowest bridging-point on the River Fal. Most buildings in the village today date back to the 15th century and until the mid 19th century the main industry in the village was tannery, making heavy leather. Only one, Manor Tannery, survives today making leather for top class shoes all over the world.

Passing through the Iron Age settlement of Carvossa you arrive at Trewithen, named after the woods which surround the mansion. Trewithen was mainly developed by the Hawkins family who were responsible for building a harbour and introducing the railway to the village but the beautiful gardens surrounding the mansion were the creation of George Horace Johnstone who inherited the estate in 1904.

The Golden Barn at Golden Manor is definitely worth a visit. Reputed to be an ancient cowshed, its exterior, spiral staircase and sundial on the inside depict features expected of a medieval chapel. The Manor itself became well known in the 1500’s after its owner was imprisoned for sheltering a Roman Catholic priest. Locals in the village will now happily show visitors the site where the priest was reputedly hidden.

A path running parallel to the River Fal with scenic views of the valley brings you nicely back to Tregony where the walk began.

Return to main walks page